Tuesday, May 22, 2018

#CharactersTell Background Characters Week - Interview with Lauren

May is closer and closer to end, and now we approach the last full week of the month before the three days of the bonus round! As always, this week is reserved to the characters we don't see much of in any book - the faceless masses, the ones we mention in passing, that we glimpse like the blinking light of ships in an unending night (yes, I'm feeling poetic today): the background characters!


Our guest for tonight is Lauren - a very young, but very driven and determined lady, who is gonna tell us a bit more about her life in school, with her family and her dreams.







She comes from Twisted Fate, the upcoming novel from K.A. Grayson. She's a lovely author who's working on a number of titles, of which Twisted Fate is just one of them! She has the fuel to go on forever!
You can find her on Twitter, of course, using this link right here. She has a Facebook page too, which you should totally go and like, and she has a blog as well, that is reachable through this link!








But, with that being said - let's get to know Lauren!

------

With this, we’re concluding the month, and as always we do that by taking a look at some of the characters overlooked by the authors in their books - the Background Characters! And to do this tonight, we have our new guest here! Would you please introduce yourself, your writer and the book you’re from?

Hey, I’m Lauren… I usually go by Elle. I’m a senior in high school, looking forward to graduating in May. My writer is K.A. Grayson and I guess I’m from their book The Kendrick Chronicles: Book One - Twisted Fate.

Welcome Lauren! Mh, I’m not entirely up to speed with the US scholastic system. You say you’re a senior in HS, so that makes you...how old? Do you feel your age? Are you more mature or less mature than your peers?

I’m 17 currently, 18 in July. Always felt older though and definitely more mature than the guys I go to school with. *laughs* Well, the girls too for that matter. I don’t know, I guess I’m the quiet, overly-serious one in my little group of friends, even though we all get into trouble. *shrugs*

That’s quite interesting. It’s a good thing to have your head on your shoulders at that age, but what made you this serious? Do you have any siblings? How’s life at home?

Funny you should ask that and then follow it with do I have siblings. *laughs uncomfortably* Well, I have an older brother. Seven years older and he and my dad don’t get on well. Dad’s got a shop… fixes cars. It’s been in our family for like… four or five generations. Wanted my brother to take it over, but he booked it to Philly so… that left me here at home. Dad’s serious. I’m supposed to be… I try. *laughs* Uhm, but he’s gonna be mad when I graduate because cars… ugh, I’m a girl for heaven’s sake. I don’t want dirt and grease under my nails, ya know?

I can completely understand that point of view. Do you ever feel like you had to be more mature and serious for your age due to the strained relationship between your dad and your older brother? You know, a sort of ‘there’s already too much on the plate for me to add more weight to it’.

Oh yes, definitely. And he’s not the kind of guy you can just have a normal conversation with. Maybe he was a bit more laid back when my brother was still at home, but I was too little to remember. All I know is that I can’t talk to him about what I REALLY want to do. Mom knows, but Dad… I don’t dare tell him until I have that tassel swished over on my graduation cap if you know what I mean. He’s scary when he’s mad.

You seem to have some very specific plans about your future, though. What sort of career are you going to pursuit? You said your mother knows, so you seem pretty bent on that choice if you risked them talking about it. Or… well, are your parents not really the ‘speak to each other’ kind?

They’ve been married… *thinks for a moment* twenty years? I think?  Anyway, Mom works for the newspaper in a different town so she’s got long hours and they don’t talk much when she is home. But when I do catch her, we talk about my plans. She’s all for it. Actually told me to keep my lips buttoned about it until I’m done with school. *smiles happily* I’m going to be a Vet!

Ohhh! A vet! As an animal lover myself, I don’t have anything against that sort of choice! When did you find out about your love for animals? Do you have any favorite?

Oh I LOVE animals! I kind of… and don’t let my Dad know this… I’ve had a make-shift animal rescue that I’ve kept hidden from him since I was six years old. He thinks I’m just overly sentimental about it all when he catches me checking out roadkill on the side of the road. *laughs* But if it’s alive I’m MAKING him pull over so I can see if I can help. Mom’s a bit better about it, let me rescue a momma turtle that got hit once. Cringed the whole time, but I got it in the back seat. *smiles*

That’s indeed very sweet of you, and hey, it’s all good work experience for your plans. But...well, you’re old enough to know it’s not all rose and flowers and saved animals. Do you think you’ll have trouble adapting to the...harsher realities of the job?

I hope so. My friend, Dee… she tells me that even though I’ll have to dissect animals in school… and learn how to euthanize them too, that I’m ultimately helping. I really hope I can do that part ‘cause this is all I’ve ever wanted to do since I was little, ya know?

I get what you mean. And I’m sure you’ll be able to pull it off, even if it’s not going to be easy. And you do have quite a lot of studying ahead of you. I suspect you already know that chemistry and biology will be quite important...have you ever experimented? Did it ever go badly?

I don’t think I’d call it ‘experimenting’, but there have been animals I haven’t been able to save. I’ll admit, I cry when that happens. Mom tries to assure me that having a big heart is okay and not everyone will be cut out for this line of work. But I’m determined and it’s a good thing I like chem and bio. *smiles* I actually help tutor for both of those already so I’m sure I’ll do fine in college.

You seem to put yourself on the line quite a lot. And we all know High School is not exactly the kindest place on Earth when it comes to certain behaviours. Did this eagerness and this way of pursuing your interest ever bitten you in the rear in your social life?

Yeah, I learned early on not to talk about my love for animals around certain people. The guys on the football team for one. They’re super mean and tease you relentlessly if you show any kind of ‘weakness’.  Didn’t know wanting to help animals was a ‘weakness’ but whatever. I just smile, shake my pom poms at their games and try to ignore everything else. I won’t date a jock, that’s for sure. Have my eye on a musician anyway. *winks*

A cheerleader too, huh? I can imagine that might bring you closer to musicians than jocks, considering how rhythm is important in that. How about your cheerleading companions? Did they ever give you any trouble?

The girls? Noooo, they’re all great. I mean, they tease me because I have THE BIGGEST crush on Dee’s brother. *sighs* He’s a guitarist and I could just listen to him play all day, but I don’t exist to him really. Dee’s trying to wear him down though. Wish me luck! *laughs*

Attacks on both fronts, I like it. Good strategical thinking. Lower his defenses then go in for the kill. And well, did you already have experiences in terms of sentimental life? Or is he the first boy you’ve had a crush on?

I’ve had a crush on him since grade school. What is WRONG with me? *laughs* He flirts every now and then, but then… I think he flirts with lots of girls. Wants to be a rockstar. Thinks he’s all that… but I know what he’s like beneath it all. Spent a lot of time at their house hanging out with Dee, ya know? Behind-the-scenes Chris is a whole lot different that he is in public. He’s almost… awkwardly sweet. And I kind of like that quality. *smiles*

There’s nothing wrong with you, that’s for sure! And I can imagine that might be the case, behind the rockstar front...Anyway, I’m afraid we’re almost out of time for tonight’s interview. Is there anything you’d like to tell to our audience? Whatever you want!

Hmmm, well… I guess something a little inspirational? Just follow your heart and your passion where it leads you and hopefully the right people will be there at just the right time. *smiles*

That’s a lovely message! Thanks again for your time tonight, Lauren, it’s been an absolute pleasure to meet you. And I hope the best for you and your dreams! Can’t wait to see more about your world in Twisted Fate!

Thanks for having me! This was a lot of fun!

------

Before our goodbyes today, a little announcement! If you don't have enough of interviews, you might want to take a look at Interviews From The Void, from the amazing Arthur Macabe! This week interview is with yours truly, where we talk about the importance of characters, the experience as an author not being a native english speaker, and other amazing things! It was an absolute blast to be in this interview and you guys should absolutely give them a shot, they go very in depth in writing techniques and other important aspects of the process!

With that being said, this concludes our interviews for May! But the summer isn't gonna stop us - we'll be back the first of June to interview a new interesting Main Character, so be sure to stay tuned! Of course, as always, YOU can have YOUR characters interviewed on this blog by sending me a direct message on Twitter - from there I'll sort you out!
See ya around, gorgeous people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#CharactersTell Main Character Week - Interview with Elle Deschampes

Wow...well, September has been a bit of an eventful month in RL for me, but we're luckily back to our regular schedule - and not only th...