Tuesday, May 8, 2018

#CharactersTell Antagonists Week - Interview with Heather Monroe's Superego

A litral angel on her shoulder, it seems
Another week, another interview, of course! And this one's an interesting one: for our antagonists this time we have a Main Character's psychological facet - Heather Monroe's Superego. After all, sometimes our greatest enemies and hurdles come from inside ourselves! Heather Monroe is the protagonist of "The Admonition Position", the second book of the Marshmellow Slut erotic saga from Marsha Adams! This Superego seems to have quite the hard time trying to keep Heather in check in her exploration of more and more intense and extreme kinks~






Look at that glance. She must have some
other delightful deviousness in mind.



Marsha is a lovely Scottish writer, who has already two books on Amazon! You can find her Amazon Author Page here, along with her books, by following this link!
She's active on Twitter as well (and you should totally follow her using this link right here!)




But let's get down to it, shall we?

------

With the second week of May, we get to know some of our antagonists a bit better - and today we’ve got one of them! I have to admit, though, this is a first for me, interviewing a psychological construct. Would you please introduce yourself, your book and your author for us?

Hi, I’m Heather Monroe’s superego. Marsha Adams wrote “The Admonition Position” about me. Well, Heather says it was written about her, but we both know it would have been a better story if I was the main character.

So, you’re her Super-Ego… I must confess, I might be a tad rusty on my psychology. Can you tell us what you represent in her?

I’m her conscience, I guess. I’m the part that makes smart choices. The right choices. I’m fighting a constant battle with her id. She wants Heather to have ‘fun’.To be a bit adventurous. I try to keep Heather on the straight and narrow. Not ‘straight’! Not like that. But, you know, morally correct. I try to stop her making mistakes. I’m… I’m not very good at my job. She doesn’t listen to me.

To be honest, you make it sound like you have a lot of fights to keep Heather on the right path, or at least the one you seem to define as such. You were very quick about trying to specify you weren’t talking about ‘straight’ in that manner. Was that a difficult part as you were growing up with Heather and her id?

It wasn’t, not at all. I don’t know where she gets these ideas from. Well, I do. They conspire against me. Peter gives her notions, her id thinks they sound like fun and Heather sides with the two of them. She hardly ever listens to me. I’m having a bit of an identity crisis if I’m honest: I’m not even sure if I know what ‘right’ is any more.

You really sound stressed out by all of this. Is it always this much of a constant struggle? Do you ever get at least some little victory in Heather’s mind or do you feel like you’re slipping?

I do win sometimes. But it’s like she has to hit rock bottom before she listens to me. I keep telling her she can have fun safely, and id keeps pushing her to go further. I think I saved her when she was at her worst. She was… well, she was close to giving up. On everything, you know? But I made her get help. From Peter. I’m not sure that was right either, but it was better than the alternative.

At least you do get some shots in. I think it’s important. And, was there ever a time when you thought you were right but instead you were wrong? You mentioned you don’t think you know what’s right anymore, what is it that you’re changing your mind on?

I convinced her to start seeing Peter. He seemed like he’d be the sensible choice if she really wanted to listen to id. He came across as moral. I don’t think he’s moral. I think I made a mistake there. The thing is, I’m only as smart as Heather. She’s not stupid, not at all, but she can be naive. So I’m kind of naive. But trusting people is a good thing, right?

It tends to be as a general rule, but I think you yourself noticed that it might be a mistake to trust everyone. So, tell us about you. Do you remember when was the first time that you actually made a difference in Heather’s life? What’s the first time you had to push her to do the right thing?

When she was 13, she lost her father. That was my chance to really shine. Her grades started to slip and I turned her round. I made her into a determined young woman, ready to take on the world.

Do you think you might have overdone it, perhaps? A big boost of confidence and strength can bring to underestimate possible physical or social risks.

You see, this is why I doubt myself. What if I’ve always been wrong, even when I thought I was doing my best job? Working hard, striving, never giving up: those are supposed to be good things, right? Moral choices. But they’ve got Heather into trouble, more than once. And out of trouble too, I suppose. I do my best. I do. That’s the moral thing: always doing your best. That’s what I want for Heather.

They do say that hindsight is 20/20, so I guess you can’t really consider how something can affect someone in the long run until you see it happen. So… Tell us. What sort of trouble are you trying to keep Heather out of? You seem pretty worried about this, what do you think can happen to her?

She makes poor choices. About sex. Sorry. I shouldn’t talk about that. Or maybe I can? This is half the problem: I’m supposed to be enforcing social standards and I don’t know what they are any more. And Heather is in some very odd social situations with some very unusual people these days. I’m a bit lost, frankly. I just worry that she’ll end up with people who don’t care about her like I do.

Of course you can talk about sex. We explore all sorts of themes around here, I even wrote a blog post about sexuality. And well… I can completely understand your worry. Especially in that field, we can end up getting burnt very easily, the lines between physical and emotional safety are very much blurred when physical contact comes into play. Does she get in a lot of… well, weird situations, sexually speaking?

She only gets in weird situations these days. It’s like someone took the lid off a big box of kink and everything’s jumped out. All the urges I’d been keeping under control, all the awful stuff she fantasises about when she thinks I’m not looking… everything.  It’s worrying. And I don’t even know if it’s wrong. It feels wrong. Her mum wouldn’t like any of it.

Then again, sexuality is a very personal thing, isn’t it? And it’s definitely not something we usually share with our parents in the more…’explicit’ sense of it. Doesn’t it feel good to have her feel good? What sort of fantasies does she have that upset you so much?

The BDSM stuff confuses me. And it makes me redundant, I think: she likes being punished, she’s punished when she’s bad, so she likes being bad. Where do I come into that? Nowhere, that’s where. I’m useless. And anonymous sex! How can I help her do the right thing if I don’t even know who she’s doing it with? Don’t even get me started on the public stuff. Sex is private, like you said. Personal. It’s not supposed to be on stage, for an audience. Except almost everyone around her is actually a decent person. They are. They’re good. But… they do these awful things. And she tells me I mustn’t judge them.

You might be playing a bigger part than you realize though. Without your warnings and the feelings you provide, wouldn’t the rush in certain things get lessened? And perhaps you might want to look at it from a different perspective - more at how to keep doing this but recognize hard boundaries than trying to pull her away from this world all together.

I’m not sure Heather would have any boundaries if it wasn’t for me. She says she does, but then her id goes to work, and Peter talks to her, or Gabriella does, and then she ends up doing things I told her not to. Because I’m not allowed to judge this stuff, apparently. Her new rule is “everything’s okay if everyone’s having fun”. I’m trying to adjust to that. I guess judging people for how they have fun is… wrong? How can I do my job if the rules keep changing like that? This is not how we were brought up.

I mean, as long as everyone, and especially Heather, is having fun and are safe I think pushing some boundaries is fine. But you do seem to have a lot of work on your hands regardless to make sure they aren’t pushed too far, divide social norms that can be wrong from actual possible harm, you know? Anyway, I’m afraid we’re almost out of time! Is there anything you’d like to say to our audience before we conclude the interview?

Well, the right thing to do would be thank them - and you - very much for listening to me. And apologise for complaining so much, I guess. And for talking about… you know. That stuff. And for gossiping about Heather. Oh hell, I’m just bad at my job, aren’t I? Sorry.

Ah, don’t take it badly. It means we get to know more about both Heather and you, innit? Thanks for coming! Hope you and Heather id can find a way to coexist well together! Can’t wait to see your influence in “The Admonition Position”!

------

And this concludes our interview for this week! As always, remember that YOU can have YOUR Characters interviewed on this blog as well! Just send me a direct message on Twitter on my profile, which you can find through this link here!
See you next week with a new Side Character!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#CharactersTell Main Character Week - Interview with Elle Deschampes

Wow...well, September has been a bit of an eventful month in RL for me, but we're luckily back to our regular schedule - and not only th...