Thursday, February 15, 2018

#CharactersTell Secondary Characters - Interview with Nathaniel Adler

Welcome back #CharactersTell crowd! Our interview last week saw us speak with quite the charming and well-mannered antagonist, and today is no different!

And who wouldn't spend time with her with such a cute name!
Our guest tonight is Nathaniel Adler, from the novel 'Trigram' written by Avrin Kelly, and you can find her novels and anthologies on her Amazon store page here!

She's also present on Twitter (and you should absolutely follow her) and aside from being the main forces responsible for me getting into blogging. She has her own blog, Wicked Shorts, which is an amazing place to go to if you're a fan of the fantastic and the creepy!

But that's enough of us blabbering about, let's get to our honored guest!

------


Good evening to you too, and welcome to our interview for the side character week! Can you introduce yourself, the book you’re from and your author?


“Yes, it would be my pleasure. My name, is Nathaniel Adler. I’m twenty four years old, and my brother is a Warlock. I’m from the novel “Trigram” (so I’m told) by Avrin Kelly. I’ve never met the author, but I’m told it’s a woman…with a man’s name evidently.”

Ah yes, reminds me of some ‘Andrea’s’ here in Italy. But let’s talk about you. So you’re the brother of a Warlock? Is he more on the ‘Main Character’ side or is he more on the ‘Antagonist’ side?


“Considering what I know about my brother, Thierry, he’s a bit of both. He tends to do whatever he wants in life, then, he turns around and preaches to me about right and wrong.”
*scoffs*
“He tries, you know, to be good I suppose. But I am the dutiful one in the family. As a Scholar, I’m immune to most magics (not Warlock magics), but, Thierry would never hurt me. I don't think.”

That sounds like quite the interesting family history you’ve got there. What’s a Scholar, and how did you find out you’re one?


“A Scholar is a man immune to magic. I believe Scholars were put on Earth to police the world of Witchcraft (as we are its polar opposite). No spell can touch us. Our name has been earned over the centuries. Scholars being the only entities on this planet strong enough to raid a coven of Witches and confiscate their most dangerous spells. If it weren’t for us, the world we live in now would be very different. Imagine if Witches could do whatever they wanted without consequence? They fear us. We, as Scholars can null their entire genetic line--- if our Council sees fit to do so.”


What was it like growing up with Thierry Adler?


“Growing up with Thierry was mostly fun. He was my best friend until he went off to boarding school in the States. He left me with our father, Samson Adler. Samson is the Luminary of the Scholarly Council, and as his son, I’m like a prince… in a way.”

A life predisposed for greatness from an important bloodline, then. How did you take the news of Thierry being a Warlock, instead of a Scholar like you and your Father?


*Laughs bitterly*
“The news? No one told me anything. Everything I’ve learned about my brother I found out via my computer. Thierry abandoned our family when he discovered what he was. He didn’t say goodbye. He didn’t trust me with his secret. He just left us. Me. It took me months to find him, but when I did... well, that was as shocked as I’d ever seen him. Serves him right for being a coward.”


It must not have been easy to find out your brother went missing like that. Do you still feel resentful for what he did, or did you two manage to rekindle your friendship without a hitch?


“I’m still angry as fuck.”
*face gets red, but then, he collects himself*
“His absence taught me that---- no one can be trusted. You can only depend on yourself. Also, with his unique ability to Travel between worlds, I figure he can be useful. You see, I’m looking for a ring that has the same ability to Travel that my brother has. Thierry is the only one equipped to go out and find it. Now that his friend Io has gone missing, I’m sure he’ll be much more interested in finding the ring that ripped her out of this world. And when he does, I’ll be there to take it off his hands.”

Wow, yeah, still quite the sentiment. Have you ever envied him for his place in the world? You seem to speak about his abilities as something quite rare and unique. Do you think he’s the right person to wield them?


“That’s a hard one… Mmmm. I don’t envy him his powers. Most people think he’s a freak. Warlocks are made when a Witch and a Scholar have a male child together, and even then, it doesn’t always take. It’s damn near impossible. So when one is born, people credit it as being the will of the gods. That, if he’s here, then he’s meant to be.
“Should he have his powers? I don’t know, but if I had them, I’d be much more creative about using them. That's the problem with Thierry. No imagination. Just pure bull-headed willpower. I keep telling him to take the time to stop and think. But-----”
*taps his head a finger*
"He never does."

You could always manipulate him and try to give him ‘ideas’...


“Yeah. Have you met Thierry Adler? He's about as influential as a brick. And stubborn as a mule.”

Heh. Point taken. So your mother was a witch then? You didn’t mention her earlier.


*Takes a deep breath*
“My mother was a human woman. Thierry is only my half brother. My father drove her to commit suicide when I was still in diapers. That's the kind of man Samson Adler is. Thierry's mother was a Witch. But she's dead.”

Are you afraid you’re gonna become like him? Or...perhaps he is more like a role model? There’s something to be said about ruthlessness in such a position of power, after all.


“Thierry says I’ve turned into our father. That I’m becoming a monster, but he doesn’t know the truth. He’s not the only one on a mission. I have my own life's work: to free Witches and other supernatural creatures from the tyranny of the Scholarly Council. We should be a democracy. We should vote on the rules, not have them forced upon us by group of men immune to magic. Men like me.”

That’s quite the important and noble mission you’ve taken upon yourself. I hope the best for that...and speaking of which, let’s get to a lighter subject. You know what month it is in our world, right? And what was celebrated yesterday?


“Oh yes, Valentines Day. To be perfectly honest, I’ve got bigger fish to fry. But I do like someone. Quite a bit.”

Oh do you now~ And does this someone know it?


“No. I don’t plan on telling her either. She’s in love with someone else. I’ll give you two guesses as to who, and the first one doesn’t count.”


I’ve made mine, but we’ll let our readers play along. It’ll make it much more fun to find out in Avrin’s works after all. You seem quite driven though - do you see any romantic pursuits for yourself if/ when you manage to accomplish your goals?


“Maybe. I mean, I hope so. I’ve always wanted a family of my own. It's almost like, if I had a place to be and people I belonged to, a wife and a few rugrats, I wouldn’t feel so angry at Thierry anymore. Abandonment issues are a bitch.”


I hope you will manage to get through them and find someone to belong to, sincerely. But for now, our time is almost up - anything you want to say to our readers?


“Yes. As a matter of fact I do.

Those of you out there know who you are. You can’t hide. The revolution is still growing stronger by the day. We will rise. You shall fall. Zedd will see to that.

“Thank you for having me, Manuel, it’s been nice talking to you. Maybe once I take down the council, I can interview you… If I live.”

The pleasure has been mine! And I’m counting on that interview, so I surely hope you’re gonna live through this. Thanks for coming!

------

What can I say, two out of three guests that haven't told me to go screw myself...Zoe still holds the record on that one.
It's been an absolute pleasure to have Nathaniel with us, and do remember, you can have your character featured in this blog too! This upcoming week is gonna be Background Characters week, which are amazing to get to know the worlds and settings you guys write about! And after that, we're back at Main Characters!

To partecipate, simply send me a Direct Message on Twitter!
See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#CharactersTell Main Character Week - Interview with Elle Deschampes

Wow...well, September has been a bit of an eventful month in RL for me, but we're luckily back to our regular schedule - and not only th...