Thursday, February 22, 2018

#CharactersTell Background Characters - Interview with Joshua Freeman

Hello people, and welcome back to the #CharactersTell interviews! To finish our February schedule, today we've got a Background Character - someone taken from the nameless, faceless crowds of an author's work and put into the spotlight to explore their point of view as well.
For our first Background Character interview, we have Joshua Freeman, a detective of the Charleston Police Department.

And she has a lovely smile too!
He comes from "Deja Vu", an upcoming romantic suspense novel from author Hollie Hausenfluck (which you should totally follow on Twitter using this link).
She has a blog too, which you should absolutely take a look at, and you can just following this link!






But enough dilly-dallying around, let's get to it shall we? Here's the interview!

------

Well hello there! It’s a pleasure to have you here with us tonight! Can you introduce yourself, the book you come from and your author?


My name is Joshua Freeman, rookie homicide detective with the Charleston police department. Apparently Hollie Hausenfluck is writing a novel called Deja Vu, where I will be making my debut appearance as “uncredited rookie cop”. *waves* Hi mom!


Well hello Joshua! It’s a pleasure to meet you! So, a rookie detective, huh? How are you finding your job so far? You must see your fair share of weird stuff…


Oh yeah. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff people do to each other. I've only been a detective for a few months now, and it's a lot of work, but it's awesome. I work with some really amazing people.

I can imagine that… You seem very fond of your coworkers! Is there someone you’re particularly inspired by?


There's this one detective, I think her name's Hayden Howell. Honestly, she's kinda scary, so I've been trying to keep my distance. She seems to know what she's doing though, so I guess it's okay that she's a total you-know-what.


There’s no reason to censor yourself here, we’ll make sure she doesn’t read this interview… Why is she scary? How does she usually behave?


Well if I'm being frank then, she's a total bitch. She just seems to have a short fuse and boy you should see her with detective Detweiler. The way those two bicker back and forth, it's like listening to my younger twin brothers argue over whose turn it is to play the video game, except with a lot more swearing. I heard she even punched him.


Wow, she definitely sounds like she has a very short temper. And despite that you still find inspiration in her? How so?


She's a cold blooded killer catching machine. She brings in so many perps and gets them to confess in a matter of minutes. I'm not sure what she's doing in that interview room, but when she comes out with the guy or gal, they look like they've seen the grim reaper. It's like a gift or something, I don't know man.


Damn, she’s that good? Do you think higher ups might be closing an eye on her behaviour for the result she brings home? And have you ever thought about asking her, or someone that works close to her?


She's damn good. I think everyone's just kind of used to her snide comments and temper and it's just what we've come to expect at work. I'm just speculating here, but deep down, she could be a nice person, she just prefers to be a bitch because it's more fun and she doesn't have to open herself up to anyone. I will say though, ever since her and Detweiler started bumping uglies, she seems to be a little less of a bitch. Maybe she just needed to get some. Who knows?


Mh, I see. At the very least she can be a nice person, and it seems like things are starting to get better with her. Think the upwards curve will continue? Perhaps if it does you can finally find out what she does in the interrogation room!


I damn sure hope so. Things seem to be going okay for now. Maybe the captain will let me work with her once her partner, Ramirez, retires. He's had some health issues recently, so he's gonna be retiring at the end of the summer.


Awh, I’m sorry to hear that. Then again, an opportunity for you to rise the ranks!
So, tell us, how did you decide to enter in this line of work? It’s not really a common choice.


I think it has something to do with the murder of a classmate of mine. In middle school she was walking to school through the woods and someone attacked her and killed her. It took the police almost fifteen years to solve the case. It shouldn't take that long to give someone's family closure. So I decided I wanted to see if I could change that. Plus, I really liked CSI growing up, though it's completely different in real life.


Oh, I’m very sorry about your classmate. And I completely agree, it shouldn’t take that long to bring a criminal to justice. Have you already worked successfully on some cases? One that remained in your mind?


I recently solved a case of jealous girlfriend versus cheating boyfriend. It was pretty straightforward. She caught him cheating, pushed him out the window, and then tried to run for it. She didn't get far before we caught up to her and she confessed after a few hours in the interrogation room. She cried like a baby through the whole thing.


Some people cry over spilt milk, she cried over a spilt boyfriend, I guess. And how are you finding the city? Do you see yourself staying here or do you aim to go work somewhere else?


I was born and raised in Charleston, SC. K don't think that's going to change anytime soon. It's actually a really nice place go live once you get over the traffic and constant tourists. Most people are pretty friendly, you know that whole southern hospitality thing.

And speaking of friendliness… It is February, so you know what sort of question I’m contractually obligated to ask. Any particularly friendly person in your life, if you know what I mean?


Meh. Who has time for that kind of stuff? I had a casual friends with benefits thing going on with a girl in my building, but she started to get too clingy.


Sticking to the lone detective thing for now, huh? Well, you never know what the future means… Now, you did say you loved CSI.. Give us your best one-liner after catching the perp. I know you want to. I can even give you the sunglasses if you need them.


Umm… You're totally putting me on the spot here, but I guess since I'm a huge David Caruso fan, I'll say, “Bet you didn't think you would be going to jail so soon.”


Feels weird to be on the other side of the questioning fence, doesn’t it? Anyway, our time is almost up! Do you have something you want to say to our readers?


I guess I would say thanks for listening to me ramble and I hope you all enjoy Deja Vu. Look for me in the background of the bullpen, I'll be the one sitting at his desk, pretending to look busy.


I’m sure we will enjoy it a lot! Thank you for your time and your disponibility! I’ll definitely keep an eye out to see how your career is going!

------

And this concludes another lovely interview with another interesting character! Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!
Starting with the first of March, we'll have another Main Character on the spot, and it can very well be YOUR Main Character from YOUR book!
To apply for the spot, just send me a Direct Message on Twitter! You can find the button to do just that on the right-hand sidebar!
See you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#CharactersTell Main Character Week - Interview with Elle Deschampes

Wow...well, September has been a bit of an eventful month in RL for me, but we're luckily back to our regular schedule - and not only th...