Thursday, March 22, 2018

#CharactersTell Background Characters - Interview with Setra Giardin

Well hello there people! Another week has passed, and not only that, we've officially entered Spring! It's the time for flowers, for birds to migrate south, for colors, and...well, for another interview! This week is dedicated to the Background Characters!


And well, he does bring the British charm!

This week we have Setra Giardin. She's a French-Canadian born-vampire working for The Order in Martyn Currill's novel "Of Angel's Blood". It's available on Amazon (Which you can find following this link!) and on FeedARead (Which instead is found here!)
Martyn is a UK based novelist, with already some works under his belt! You can find him on Twitter (where you should totally go follow him!). Aside from that, he's a fellow geek, and a lovely person to boot, so make sure to keep your eyes on him!



But! It's time to meet our guest for tonight!

------

And we’re back with another week of #CharactersTell, and as it’s becoming tradition, fourth week is for Background Characters! So, hello there! Would you mind introducing yourself? Telling us who you are, what book are you from and who’s your author?

Bonsoir! I am Setra Giardin, from the novel OF ANGEL’S BLOOD, by Martyn Currill. And may I say, thank you for inviting me here. I don’t often get asked about myself.

I know right? The sad fate of background characters! But today we’re here to fix that! By your greeting, I’m guessing french? Where are you from? And especially, how is spring in your world?

French-Canadian. I was born in what is now Quebec, but I moved to Toronto about ten years ago, to undertake new duties here. And spring in Toronto is much like spring everywhere else, but with less rain and fog than England.

Oooh! New duties? What do you do for a living? And what were you used to do before moving to Toronto?

I serve The Order, as I always have. Like many born vampires, I was born into my service, and it is a matter of pride for us. Since moving here I have helped to train the team here, eventually taking over as the base commander three years ago.

Waitwaitwait! You were born a vampire? That does change things quite a lot! Are vampires common in your world? And what about other races? And what does The Order do in your universe?

[Laughs] you are either blind or ignorant to have gone so long without noticing. Though I suppose that is not your fault - we have been driven to hide our presence more than we would like, through your kinds’ relentless persecution of us. That is where The Order comes in. We are an organisation dedicated to providing safe, welcoming places where vampires and other preternatural beings are welcome, even finding purpose. We work, live and fight alongside a dedicated cadre of mortal soldier called Omega Company, men and women who believe in our cause, and seek to further a mutually co-existent society. Indeed, our current leader was a mortal himself, until recently.
As for other races, I do not know. There are a small amount of werewolves in Ireland, I believe, but I have heard little of any others. But they may well be out there! [chuckles]

Hey, can’t fault me. I see a lot of worlds a lot of times. So, vampires, men, and some werewolves in Ireland huh? Interesting! Let’s talk about the vampires. Are you like the popular culture depicts you? I mean, not evil, you don’t strike me as such, but speaking of abilities and problems and so on.

[laughs again] One of our greatest members once said that we are not inherently evil, we are simply ‘morally flexible’. A finer phrase I have yet to find.
Our abilities can vary, depending on bloodlines and so on, but we often have a certain degree of telepathy. Some are telekinetic, too, and only a very small number could control a human mind.
As for problems, it is a peculiar fact that over time, as more and more mortals were ‘turned’, many classic weaknesses were actually bred out of our physiology. Unfortunately, that just means the hunters become ever more inventive...and sadistic.

That sounds like a constant, uphill struggle...it sounds like there ain’t many of you, and you still need to keep everyone safe. It must be pretty stressful. What about your abilities and powers? How is it living with them? Telepathy might seem cool, but I bet it can get a tad annoying at times…

That is why we train rigorously. Lord Black - an unfortunate surname - suffered greatly with his psychic abilities, as I recall. However, those who were born into vampirism were taught how to use them, and how to block out the background noise, from a young age. Those who are turned...well, not all of them adapt well.

I can definitely imagine that! But let’s try to lighten up the mood, shall we? I understand how hard this life must be, but there has to be something you people do to relax and unwind. What’s your choice? Is there any game or passtime peculiar to your organization or your race?

Not particularly, no. Omega Company, being professional soldiers, will pass the time with their typical pastimes - drinking, or contact sports or some such. I do not know. I stay away from them. Myself, I am a lover of classical music and literature, though I have found a modern book series most fascinating - The Lord of the Rings. Exceptional.

Oh my, a book-lover! Can’t help but say that’s pretty much a winning tract around here. And do you ever think what you might do if things smooth out and the Order manages to make the world a better place for everyone? What would you do?

Human nature means that will never happen. I have lived through enough of your history to know that. But if it did? I might take up a different role. Maybe leave The Order, and teach. Or something similar. I have not had chance to consider it, really.

And what would you teach if you did? Any subject you’d love to pass on the younger generations?

With my background? French, naturally. Or history. [Laughs] or French history. Anything to curb the ignorance of the modern generations.

That’s a very noble ideal. And one I support one hundred percent. Unfortunately, though, our time is almost up - anything you’d like to say to our readers?

Only what our leader himself has added in his memoirs - to remind you, all of you, that we are not your enemies. We will welcome anyone who wishes to aid us, who believes in our cause.
We are all around you, but we are not evil. Merely morally flexible.
Also, I might be in need of a new aide. I will consider all applications.

Well, I *am* unemployed at the moment...But! Thank you for your time and telling us more about you today! We’ll make sure to see what’s going on in your world in the book!

Merci. It has been a pleasure.

------

And this makes it for this week as well! We'll have a couple of days off, but April the 1st we'll be back with another Main Character! So keep your eyes open for that!
As always, remember that YOUR Characters can be featured in these interviews! Just send me a message on Twitter, which you can do just using the link on the right-hand side bar!
With that, I bid you all goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#CharactersTell Main Character Week - Interview with Elle Deschampes

Wow...well, September has been a bit of an eventful month in RL for me, but we're luckily back to our regular schedule - and not only th...