Thursday, March 15, 2018

#CharactersTell Side Characters - Interview with Emily Lawrence

Welcome back, #CharactersTell crowd, for another weekly interview! I hope you're getting ready for spring, which is basically behind the corner - but speaking of which, today we'll talk with someone who's actually working to get some semblance of normalcy back in the whole world!

A gorgeous ginger, too!



Today's guest is Emily Lawrence, a Forensic scientist trapped in some sort of time loop in "Before Noon". She's a chipper, friendly person who's been a blast to interview! And well, she does sound feisty, and she looks the part as well!





She's so nice she even pets cacti!

The author of "Before Noon" is Gladys Quinn, who's an amazing writer that you should totally follow on Twitter (and you can do so by clicking this link here). You can find her on her site as well, which you'll get to through this link. Her novel is currently available and being updated on Wattpad, and it's easily readable for free (!!) on her profile, that you can reach following this link to keep yourself up to speed on this intriguing story, along with her completed works!






But enough faffing about! Time to get to the interview!

------

And we’re back with another side character for this week’s interview! So let’s start with some introductions, shall we? Who are you? What book are you from, and who’s the author?

It’s great to be here! The name’s Emily Lawrence. I’m from Before Noon by Gladys Quinn.
I’m still waiting to find out what will become of my life by the time the book ends… Stay tuned.

We definitely will! What can you tell us about you and the world you’re living in?

Sure, definitely.
[clears throat and leans back, preparing for a long answer]
Wait, which one do you want to hear about first?

Mmh. Let’s go with the world, first. It’ll give us some context to know you better if we know where you live.

I was about to go along with world, anyway. [laughs]
So, it looks like I’m from your relative future—not sure how that works, but yes, in this time, climate change has become detrimental. I live in Australia, which is one of the first places to burn up.
OK, hang on. I forgot to mention that there’s some strange “voodoo magic” going on that’s making me relive the end of the world. So yes, people of 2018, thanks for screwing my life up. Just kidding.

At the very least we get to read about it. Still, one hell of a groundhog day scenario, huh? Have you ever seen the world before it went down the drain? What can you tell us about your early years, how you grew up?

I was born 27 years before it properly went down the drain, so I suppose so? But even then, I grew up taking the intercontinental train with my father to see what the world was like before it got too hot. They have screens in the tunnel that shows moving pictures of what the parts of the planet were like as you pass them. I really liked doing that.

Let’s see… I grew up in a fairly rural area in Victoria, where you could still see the stars at night. My father was an astronomer—he went to space eventually, in fact—so one of my favourite things to do was to look up through a telescope. When my father was called up for a sun research mission, I spent the rest of my childhood living with his best friend. Never knew my mother. She passed away shortly after I was born.

I have to admit, that sounds like quite the interesting, and rough life as well - between the loss of your mother, your father being away...but I can’t help but notice you do still seem to be very energetic and chipper, even with your current predicament. Were you always this cheerful, or is it something that came up later on in life?

That’s a very good question, mate. [scratches her head before continuing] I guess all these “rough” things happened so early in my life, so I’ve had a lot of time to regroup and prepare for this end of the world fuss. I took my father’s departure badly as a teenager, though. I associated with gang life, shaved my head, took drugs, all of that mess. It took so many bad trips to make me realise that I let such a small window of my life take over and it was destroying so much more time than it needed to. I think everyone was surprised when I went back to school, and probably fainted when they found out that I continued with my education up to a doctorate in forensics! [laughs]

For now, though, I think I’m keeping cool because I know that there’s a way to potentially fix things. There’s a hell of a lot of anxiety, for sure, but I’m keeping myself occupied by being methodical, trying to crack the mystery day by day. If I didn’t get the weird, repetitive dreams a few months before my apocalypse started resetting, I would have definitely been a wreck. Do I look like a wreck right now? I’m definitely stressed.

Well, considering the loquacity, I can see that. But, speaking of stress! Right now we’re approaching the good season in our time, where people usually go out, enjoy some more relaxation… Even in your current predicament, there must be some way you take the edge off and relax. What do you like to do in your spare time?

[snorts then makes a face] Work.

[laughs and pauses to think]

I do like drawing. I have an eidetic memory, and thankfully good hand-eye coordination, so sometimes if I feel very inspired to recreate a memory on paper, I’d draw it.

That’s a good hobby to have! We know you’re a side character in this story...How did you get to know the Main Character?

[shifty eyes] How do I say this nicely… I think I’ve been unfairly labelled the side character just because I’m not the narrator.

Anyway, Isabel asked to meet me through a friend of mine, I think two months into the apocalyptic resets? She seemed convinced that I held the key to stopping her suffering, which was the same resetting of the day I’ve been going through. [whispers] And I did hold the key to that.

It was a weird meeting, to say the least. She was giving me death stares all the time, until she found out that I was going through the same thing as her. Then I got less frequent death stares. Then a few more when I asked her to take her top off. [starts laughing]

Oh my! Well, look at the bright side, you can always become a main character for the next one… And interesting way of gaining death stares, there! So, our time is almost up for tonight - anything you’d like to tell our readers?

It wasn’t like what you’d think! [still laughing] She had a few identifying tattoos that I saw in those weird dreams that I told you about earlier. I’d never met her before so I had to check if the clues were leading to her or not.

Anything I’d like to tell the readers, hmm. [stops to think then grins] If you figure out how to send things to later this century, send me some natural coffee! I doubt our element-printed coffee tastes nearly as good as coffee grown and brewed naturally.

Oh shit, [covers mouth at the swear] was I supposed to say something meaningful?

Don’t worry. My main character told me to fuck off in the first interview, so yeah, swearing is fine. And glad to see coffee addiction is still alive and well despite all the hardships!
Anyway, it’s been a real pleasure having you around, Emily!

Thank you so much for having me! It’s been a good break and now it’s time for me to get back to… I guess, saving the world? Please do not mention that on my tombstone; that’s bloody lame. Anyway, thank you again!

------

Well, she was quite talkative, wasn't she! It was definitely a pleasure to meet her! But, as always, all good things must come to an end, and so this interview. But stay tuned for next week, where we'll meet a background character!
And as always, a reminder - if you wanna see your character featured in one of these interviews, it's easy! Just shoot me a Direct Message on Twitter (you can find the link on the right sidebar!) and we'll sort it out!
See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#CharactersTell Main Character Week - Interview with Elle Deschampes

Wow...well, September has been a bit of an eventful month in RL for me, but we're luckily back to our regular schedule - and not only th...