Saturday, September 1, 2018

#CharactersTell Main Character Week - Interview with Vipa

Aaaah! It's been quite some time since we had one of these, wasn't it?
But as you probably noticed, we had the #CharactersHell tag launched today, and it's what we worked upon for this month of silence!
And now that it is done, we're back to our regular schedule...

With it, today we reopen the #CharactersTell interviews with Vipa! She's a lively young lady who's out to hunt for the ultimate prey - a Guilty One, a God-like being in her world. She has a nice affinity with water, and is quite the handful!

She's the Main Character of "God's Forsaken", the fantasy novel from David Brevik!
You can find David on Twitter, following this link here: https://twitter.com/davidbrevik1
The novel is not a WIP! It's already out, and you should go give it a look! You can find it on Amazon through this link right here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BC71ZQV
God's Forsaken is a very interesting read I had the chance of taking a look at, and it has a fascinating magitech/steampunk vibe to it!

But enough with introductions - let's get right to it, shall we?

------

And after a month of hiatus to get the new hashtag game #CharactersHell going, here we are, back in full swing starting September with a new interview! Tonight we’ve got another lovely guest - would you please introduce yourself, your author and your book for us?

Hello world! The name is Vipa of the Cuga Isle and it nice to meet you all. Just came back from swimming when my ‘lazy’ author, David Brevik, called me here. I’m from the wonderful book
"God’s Forsaken", where you get to read about my grand adventures!

Well, hello Vipa! Glad to have you here tonight! So, you’re from Cuga? What sort of world is it? How does it differ from ours?

Well, Cuga is just the island I live on with my mother. It’s part of an island nation called the Barrol Alliance on the world of Herinono. I can tell you now it's far more exciting than than plain old Earth. Magic is everywhere, and just about anyone can use it. I myself can whip people about with waterbending. Though we also have steam power, gunpowder, and stuff like that. Oh, and don’t forget the mythical creatures I hang out with like angels, reptile humans, and gods. It can be a bit crazy sometimes.

That does indeed sound like quite the interesting world to live in. But we all know, the world is made of people - what’s your place in it? What do you do for a living?

Oh, I’m a bit of an oddball. While everyone else is a factory worker or a sailor, I’m a huntress.
Crash landing on an island with my family made us survivors, though I have learned other skills to survive in the ‘real’ world. Now-a-days, I hunt down the Guilty Ones- the five god-like beings that try to rebel against the gods and failed. Great fun, really.

Oh my, a life of adventures right from the beginning then! Let’s focus just a bit more about your world - now in September the season starts to change here, getting a bit more rainy, a bit colder… how’s the weather and how are the seasons there? I can imagine that for an archipelago it must be quite the important thing to keep track to allow safe travels.

Good news, our weather here is rather stable. We are mostly tropical islands that stay more or less the same. Some of our northern islands get snow because of the mountains, but that's about it. But you have to be careful of storms. Our seasons are pretty much if it rains more or less in a given year. I like rain, but it's a pain to be blown off course because of it.

Well, that at least does sound pleasant, even if it seems like tricky situations on the sea do still abound. Let’s get back to you - you said your family crash-landed on an island? Do you remember a lot about your childhood there?

I spent almost all of the first twelve years of my life on that island. Just me and Mom. I used to have a dad, but he died after saving me when I was a babe. Don’t remember him much, but he’s now a tree- we planted his body under one. Tree dads aren’t great talkers, but at least they won’t talk back! As for living on the island, we made do. Have to do all the killing, making clothes, shelter and farming by ourselves, but once you got a system going, it isn’t too bad.

I’m glad you managed, and I’m sorry for your loss. I imagine just you and Mom there shouldn’t have been easy. Here in our world, this is the time where school starts once more - from what you told us up to now, I can imagine you didn’t have a normal education: how did you learn what you know?

A lot of my survival skills came from Mama. She's a tough woman who doesn’t take crap from anything! She taught me the basics and sometime left me out in the woods to see how would I fare. Once I left the island, I took up some work as a carpenter, or sailor. Oh, and my manners come from my best friend Sainh. Being stuck on an island doesn’t make you a great… citizen of a nation.

Well, yes, I can imagine that, that sort of life probably doesn’t suit well to readjusting to society. You mentioned Waterbending before - is it one of the things you learnt from your Mom?

Yep! She is so cool when she does it. Trust me, she can make most people look like fools in moment. My magic is natural magic, meaning I can naturally use the magic in my body, to control water. After years of training, I can handle myself well. Still, there are some things I need to practice on, like making ice.

Seems like a very valuable skill for an hunter, especially one that is living in the middle of the sea! Were there any lessons you didn’t like when you were young? Anything you’d do whatever you could to escape from?

Oh god… Give me a moment to collect myself. Remember when I said mom is tough. Well, when I was younger, I needed to learn how to swim and read books. I didn’t like reading too much. Much rather listen to stories. Well, my mom decided that if I didn’t read a number of chapters in a day, she would throw me out into the ocean. When I didn’t even know how to do a doggy paddle. She never let me drown, but you quickly learn how to swim. When I learned to swim faster than reading, she threw me out in the ocean and caused a riptide for me to swim against. I learned how to read soon after.

My. An unorthodox, but clearly quite effective method… not one I would recommend by any stretch, but at least it worked. You said you’re on the hunt for the Guilty Ones: what put you on this track?

Yeah, I like to say something heroic like ‘For justice and truth,’ and that junk. Yet when my mother told me stories of the Guilty Ones, they clashed with the stories I heard in the real world. I became more and more curious until I wanted to learn why it all happened. I started to feel sorry for them, for the only way for a Guilty One to die is to kill them. So I decided it was my goal to help them out. Oh, and because it would be a thrill to hunt down god-like creatures! So there's that.

Along with #CharactersTell, this month we start #CharactersHell as well… so tell me - how arduous is this journey you embarked on? And how much suffering do you think it might cause you?

Let see, I have to first track down a Guilty One that is always on the move. Then I need to somehow not get vaporized when I approach it. Aw, and there's also this lagoon I need to get to and I need to pass a ritual of rites to do so. It includes burning and freezing yourself at the same time. I swear I’m not a masochist. I just like challenges.

If you like challenges, it sounds like you have your work cut out for you… And who accompanies you in these adventures? Or are you hunting alone?

Oh! Oh! I have the best friend in the world, Sainh. She's rather clam, and sometimes a party pooper, who can control gravity. I can’t beat her in a match without there being water to hide in. There's Orszebet, our captain. A bit grouchy, but he's great with metal crafting. There’s my sweet Truffle the cat, and finally…. There’s Michel. He’s a new member I ‘recruited’ to our mission. Cold guy, who kills for a living as well. I tricked him into a spell that forced him to find Tragun. Feels a bit bad for it, but he sort of deserves it, considering his occupation.

At least you seem to be in good company! But… I’m afraid our time for tonight is coming to an end. Do you want to say anything to our audience? Whatever you want!

Hm… If you’re tired of same old epic fantasy and need something refreshing to read, come and read me! I can take on just about another story out there. Oh, and I do hope you guys a good day!

Awh, thank you! I hope a good day and a good adventure to you too Vipa! Thanks again for taking your time to talk with us tonight! We’ll see you in God’s Forsaken!

------

And this is it for today's interview! I have to admit she's quite the interesting person, and I can't wait to finish reading her adventures!
As usual, a couple reminders: the #CharactersHell daily game started today! You can find the board and the daily cards in my co-host @LadyOfMind721 on Twitter

You can book your interview with one of your characters at the #CharactersTell Twitter account by sending a DM, or on characterstell@gmail.com !

With that, I bid you all good night! Thanks for coming and see you next week with a new, intriguing Antag!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#CharactersTell Main Character Week - Interview with Elle Deschampes

Wow...well, September has been a bit of an eventful month in RL for me, but we're luckily back to our regular schedule - and not only th...